Friday

tomorrow is a new day

I started to love Emerson when I was in highschool.  I had a notebook that I filled with my favorite thoughts, quotes, poems, and essays.  And Emerson (and Thoreau - gotta love those transcendental thinkers) filled up much of that notebook.  He put into words some of my life-long loves, and confirmed so strongly my faith in the divine origin of the individual - that we are all unique, that we all have beauty and power within us, that we all have talents and gift worth nurturing, that we are spiritual children of Heavenly Parents.

There is such sense and purpose in Emersons' words.  I feel that he and other similar thinkers paved the way, during that special Enlightenment period, for the world to accept and welcome the gospel of Jesus Christ back to the earth in it's entirety - for the gospel to be restored.  He was so close, so right in so many ways, that he was almost prophetic.

After a day like yesterday, I was comforted to read this <<< quote.  (thank goodness for pinterest and inspiration boards and pretty lettering and all that mush.)  Today is a new day.  And I will not be tied down by yesterday, by it's chaos and worries and failures.  I will build a great day out of these hours that lay ahead.  I will be better, and do better.

And that thinking?  The opportunity to move on and change and learn and grow?  It's all available to me, to you, because of the Atonement.  It's a gift freely given, that brings me great joy, and heals my sorrows, if I let it.  I am so grateful.

So, enough with yesterday's nonsense.  It is past, it is gone.  Today is beautiful if I let it be, and will surely bring with it plenty of new nonsense.

7 comments:

Martie said...

To this I say, “What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”
― Ralph Waldo Emerson

And what lies within you, dear sister, makes me smile. You are loved!

Janalee said...

I have never read either - but I will hop to it right now!

Janalee said...

could you give me some titles to search for? of both? think of me as a beginner.

Katie Richins said...

Leaves of Grass for Thoreau and Self Reliance for Emerson. I'll be awaiting a review with baited breath!

Peg Lewis said...

Lovely post. I like the 'almost prophetic' part. I loved Emerson as a teen! Nothing had ever made that much sense before! Thanks for the perspective and reminder.

Chelsee said...

Love this Katie! Every mom needs this! Again, I love reading what you write.

Martie said...

Stand and report, soldier!